Byars-Winston A, Rogers J, Branchaw J, Pribbenow C, Hanke R, et al. New measures assessing predictors of academic persistence for historically underrepresented racial/ethnic undergraduates in science. CBE Life Sciences Education. Forthcoming.
Pfund C, Byars-Winston A, Branchaw J, Hurtado S, Eagen K. (2016) Defining attributes and metrics of effective research mentoring relationships. AIDS and Behavior. Online First: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10461-016-1384-z?wt_mc=internal.event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst.
Byars-Winston A, Branchaw J, Pfund C, Leverett P, & Newton J. (2015). Culturally diverse undergraduate researchers’ academic outcomes and perceptions of their research mentoring relationships. International Journal of Science Education, 37(15), 2533-2554.
Pfund C, Sorkness C, Byars-Winston A, & Thomas S. (2015). In reply to Chang and colleagues. Academic Medicine, 90(3), 265-266.
* Butz A, Byars-Winston A, Leverett P. (May 2016). The psychometric properties of the Cultural Diversity Awareness scale. Poster presented at the annual convention of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL.
* Butz A, Smith A. (May 2016). Promoting student self-efficacy in learning experiences. University of Wisconsin-Madison Teaching & Learning Symposium, Madison, WI.
* Byars-Winston A. (May 2016). Promotion and retention of women in academic medicine. Invited Speaker, TEMPO Madison Women's Leadership Association, Madison, WI.
* Pfund C. (May 2016). Elements of institutional initiatives to improve mentoring. National Research Mentoring Network Southeast Hub: Mentoring Academy and Institutional Planning Forum, Atlanta, GA.
* Byars-Winston A. (April 2016). ). What matters in research mentoring: Research self-efficacy and cultural responsiveness in trainees’ success. Invited Plenary Speaker, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke R25 Grantees Meeting, National Institutes of Health. Bethesda, MD.
* Byars-Winston A, Pfund, C. (April 2016). Fostering productive research relationships in cultural context. Howard Hughes Medical Institute Gilliam Mentors Workshop, Chevy Chase, MD.
* Pfund C, Sokac A. (April 2016). Improving mentoring relationships (IMentR) initiative. Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX.
* Butz A, Byars-Winston A. (March 2016). Building research self-efficacy in trainees. Delta Roundtable, Madison, WI.
* Byars-Winston A. (March 2016). Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in our world. Invited Speaker, Philanthropic Educational Organization International, Madison Chapter, Madison, WI.
* Byars-Winston A. (March 2016). Mentoring NextGen scientists and researchers: What's race got to do with it? Invited Guest Lecturer, Annual Mentoring at Purdue University Lecture Series, West Lafayette, IN.
* Pfund C. (March 2016.) Improving the effectiveness of mentors. Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA.
* Pfund C, Utzerath E. (March 2016). Research Mentor Training. National Research Mentoring Network: Northeast Hub at Boston College, Boston, MA.
* Butz A, Byars-Winston A, Branchaw J, Pfund C. (February 2016). Increasing mentors’ ability to promote research self-efficacy in their students: An SCCT intervention in STEM fields. Presentation at the 8th Conference on Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers, Philadelphia, PA.
* Smith, A. (November 2015). Promoting Mentee Self- Efficacy. Workshop presented at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Seattle, WA.
* Pfund, C, Smith, A. (September 2015). Promoting Mentee Self- Efficacy. Workshop presented at the NRMN Master Trainer Retreat, Madison, WI.
* Byars-Winston A, Pfund C, Leverett P, Branchaw, J. (August 2015). Making research mentoring work to broaden STEMM participation. Symposium paper presented at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
* Byars-Winston A, Leverett P, Pfund C, Branchaw J. (May 2015). Mentor and mentee perspectives on race/ethnicity and gender in biology research mentoring relationships. Poster presented at the 7th Conference on Understanding Interventions that Broaden Participation in Science Careers, San Diego, CA.
* Byars-Winston A, Leverett P, Pfund C, Branchaw J, Benbow R. (April 2015). Mentee and mentor perspectives on the role of race/ethnicity and gender in biology research mentoring relationships. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
Training Materials (in beta test; if interested in pilot-testing the curriculum, contact Amanda Butz at email@example.com)
* Promoting Mentee Research Self-Efficacy (mentor version). Curriculum developed by Byars-Winston A, Leverett P, Branchaw J, & Pfund C. (2013). University of Wisconsin-Madison. Supported by NIH grant # R01 GM094573. (Byars-Winston, PI).
* Promoting Mentee Research Self-Efficacy (mentee version). Curriculum adapted by Butz A & Pfund C, from mentor training curriculum developed by Byars-Winston A, Leverett P, Branchaw J, & Pfund C. (2013). University of Wisconsin-Madison. Supported by NIH grant # R01 GM094573.